Quinta da Broa
Rafael José da Cunha, born in Castelo Branco in 1792 and baptized in Covilhã in the heart of a family of farmers of choice, with close ties to the Royal House, a very new one still travels to Europe, being aware of great innovations in the agricultural world and realizing It was only in Ribatejo that he could put them into practice; With influential relatives in Tomar and Torres Novas decides to move and settle in Golegã in 1817. From then on, by rent first, and by acquisition later, it becomes, as it was called, in the "Prince of the Farmers of Portugal ".
Cultivating grains, vines and olive groves, he soon became a breeder of horses and cattle. In 1817, therefore, he began his stud farm, which is a precursor and reaches its full potential in the famous Veiga Horses of pure Lusitanian Race, a line that is almost 200 years old, a true ex-libris of the horse in Portugal and in the World.
In 1830 also begins the creation of brave cattle; Debuts in 1837 in the Praça do Campo de Santana in Lisbon; His was also the first Portuguese bull held in Madrid in 1854; Offer of Spanish friends, the embalmed head of this "Olive", still remains "proud", in the front wall of the "House of the Cars" of Quinta da Brôa.
Without direct descendants, because he did not marry, he assures, however, that all of his patrimony would continue, as it is to this day, in the possession of his next of kin or collaborators.
As a curiosity, it should be noted that when he died in 1869, Rafael José da Cunha had at his service 220 permanent employees and his fortune was valued at 900 contos. The assets are described in an inventory of almost 300 pages, including 796 heads of cattle, 638 working horses, 267 horses, 2782 sheep and 1442 pigs.
Their descendants are therefore the current owners of the farm, Mrs. Dona Maria Amélia Coimbra de Castro Veiga and her son Mr. Manuel de Castro Tavares Veiga.
The Quinta da Brôa thus has its origin in Quinta do Almonda, leased in 1829 to 8 °. Conde da Ribeira Grande, which was later acquired by Rafael José da Cunha in 1831. The prosperity generated by the successes of good administration attracted the people of the region, begging them, and gave them bread, and from there: a beggar To the broa, "and then the people called it Quinta da Broa, afterwards called" New Palace "all this housing and farm set, ordered to build where primitively there would have been other buildings.
Located in the Parish of Azinhaga, Golegã District, Santarém District, it is surrounded by the Almonda river, in whose fertile alluvial pastures horses, cattle and sheep in a frame of rare beauty, which can be appreciated from the "espargal" above and where the Housing and the entire covered area.
Quinta da Broa is the center of a vast collection of farms located in the municipalities of Golegã, Chamusca, Rio Maior and Santarém, and, above all, it is the center of a renowned stud farm: Veiga iron is a guarantee of quality.
But the intense agri-livestock activity demanded much more and so, through these large courtyards and terreiros, where the shade of secular plane trees embellishes and softens, we find the stables and harness house, with exquisite taste. Warehouses, sheds of machinery and tools, oil press and offices, others of the "rooms" there. At another extreme, a ridge where one works, day-to-day, from morning to night. Still in this set, more in the center, the "house of the cars", filled with the most beautiful couplings, always ready to serve, and with the walls bearing countless relics of a centennial past, but also with many flaps of the present time, centered around Of the São Martinho Fair.
Another housing complex also exists on the other side of the Estrada Real, Quinta da Piedade, with a set of workers' houses, now rehabilitated for Rural Equestrian Tourism.